Heating your home is a necessity when temperatures drop. In order to turn on the heat at the flip of a switch, you need a fuel source, and you may be wondering which type of heating system is the best option - heating oil or natural gas. We believe heating oil is a better option than natural gas for several reasons.
- Less Expensive. Statistics have shown that heating oil was less expensive than natural gas over the last three decades in many areas of the country. In addition, converting your heating system to natural gas is expensive, and when you add that to the 15%-25% increase in price of a natural gas furnace compared to a heating oil furnace, it would take years to recoup the costs.
- Plentiful Supply. Oil and petroleum supply remains plentiful. In addition to a large reserve of heating oil, renewable biofuel options are increasing the already substantial and sustainable supply.
- Cleaner. If a heating oil system is maintained properly, it will burn cleanly, and any soot created remains inside the tank. Oil produces almost zero emissions and modern oil system technologies reburn fuel, lowering emissions even further. On the other hand, natural gas contains 95% methane and natural gas system losses make up 18% of global methane emissions, contributing to climate change.
- Safer. Heating oil does not produce carbon monoxide and is safer to use and store because it doesn't ignite until it vaporizes at 140 degrees.
- Lasts Longer. A natural gas furnace typically lasts between 11-14 years, whereas the usual lifespan of an oil heat appliance is 30 years or more when properly maintained.
If you would like more information on the benefits of heating oil, please give us a call at Bumgarner Oil today!